I'd like you to meet Miranda

Well, she's finally done! I finished my Miranda bag.


Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out but there are a few things that I want to change.  The pattern calls for velcro to be used on the flap closure. I didn't want to do that since it's very likely that this bag will be used for knitting projects. Velcro and yarn together are not a good combo, trust me on that. Instead I used a magnetic snap that I pulled off of an old purse that I don't use anymore. I think the snap might be too small and I had a hard time figuring out how to actually secure it to the bag so it doesn't seem to work well. I'm contemplating replacing it with a decorative button if I can find one that will work. That will also give me a good excuse to try out my buttonhole feature on my Babylock Symphony machine.

Here's a closeup of the closure flap. It didn't call for any quilting but I just felt the need to add some free motion swirls since the rest of the bag was quilted.


Lastly, here is a shot of the interior. It has lots of pockets which I like. I followed the pattern and only put in one narrow pocket good for a pen but if I were to make it again I think I'd do some pockets to better accommodate knitting needles and crochet hooks. There is also a sleeve you can make to put an acrylic base inside to make the base more sturdy. I think I'm going to make the sleeve and just use something like foam-core to give it a bit more stability.


I seriously contemplated keeping it for myself, but this too is going to be a gift for someone special. I think she'll really like it.

Comments