Sewing for a Cause



When I first learned that we were relocating to the Orlando area, the thing that excited me most was the opportunity to volunteer my time at Give Kids the World. Give Kids the World village is a 70-acre resort with over 140 villas to accommodate families from all around the world who have children with life threatening illnesses. They partner with wish-granting organizations to give these families week-long once-in-a-lifetime vacations where the focus is having fun going to all the places that the Orlando area has to offer like Disney World, Universal Orlando, and SeaWorld. For many of these children it is a chance for them to focus on just being a kid, to laugh and smile and to not have to think about hospital stays, doctors, and treatments.

I first learned about this amazing organization when I met my husband 6 years ago and since that time we've both been huge supporters of GKTW, helping to raise money for them through various fundraisers especially Coasting For Kids.

I've been volunteering at the Village every week since the beginning of October and it's been such an amazing experience. In addition to the time I physically spend at the village helping out, I've also started sewing for them. During their stay at the village, each wish child receives a wish pillow. They're so easy to make and has such a huge impact for the child. Here is the batch that I made earlier this week when my son was napping:



If you'd like to make some wish pillows for Give Kids The World you can contact Rick at Give Kids The World or leave me a comment below and I will get all the information to you. If you are a no-reply blogger be sure to include your email address or or send me an email directly using the email button in the upper right hand corner of my blog. There is also a video tutorial that you can check out (but it doesn't include any of the shipping details). Okay, now to get back and make another set of pillowcases!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linking up to these link parties.

Comments

  1. Beautiful! That's really amazing for you to do. If you'd like to drop me an email with the information, I'll forward it to our bee leader. They are planning on a few charity projects in Jan and might be able to squeeze some in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful worthwhile organisation and so lovely for the poorly children to have this chance to see so many lovely things

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing opportunity! If only I could sew! Maddy and I did something like this a few years ago, the local Pat Catan's collected knitted squares at the holidays then they were pieced together to make blankets for local homeless shelters.

    You are an inspiration D!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so cute, and I'm sure they'll be really loved by the children that receive them. what a great cause!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just became a follower of your blog! Please come follow us back! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings!

    I am sponsoring "The Pillowcase Project" for pediatric patients at National Children's Hospital here in Manila, the Philippines. You can read about it on my blog, Kelley Highway, at http://kelleyhighway.blogspot.com/2013/12/ethel-pillowcase-project.html.

    Thanks for considering sending a pillowcase or two for "The Pillowcase Project."

    Happy highways,
    Kelley Dibble
    http://kelleyhighway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea about these! I'd love to make a few!
    ljlehn@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I hate sewing because I always seem to mess it up. But, this looks so simple! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from my readers. I typically respond directly to your email unless it's an answer that I think everyone would be interested in hearing. If you are a no-reply blogger (and I know that blogger does not play nice with other blogging platforms!), I will reply directly on my website. Thanks for stopping by!